Tuesday 18 September 2012

Sue's Door Snake Draught Excluder

My first time making something from scratch!
I have a cold living room. In the winter we have the fire going, the door closed and the heating on at the same time some nights. Anyway, a couple of nights ago I had the living room door closed as my youngest was watching something on YouTube or Netflix or something....It was loud, whatever it was! I shut the door and sat back down to read. After a few moments I was aware of the indoor equivalent of a tornado blowing around my ankles. Considering it was a warm night it was pretty cold too. No wonder the room was freezing in the winter. I had no idea I had a gap under the door that a limbo dancer could get under!
The idea of the snake draght excluder was born.
I had a look for a pattern but was very uninspired with what I saw. Then I realised that it was basically a tube! How hard could it be?
Not very!


I thought I'd write out the pattern in case anyone wanted it.

Time to make - approx 5 hours

Yarn used: 100g (1 ball)James C. Brett Marble D.K Shade MT26
Crochet hook: 4.00mm
Kapok ( I used the stuffing from an old pillow)

I'm using UK terms so when I say treble stitch (tr) this is US double stitch (d)

Abbreviations used:
CH chain
TC treble crochet


sl st slip stitch
st stitch
yo yarn over
2TCtog 2 Treble crochet together = * yo, insert hook in first st, yo, draw yarn through st, yo, draw yarn through 2 loops on hook repeat (*…) in next stitch. Then yo and draw yarn through 3 loops on hook. 

Row 1 - 4 CH. Join with ss in first chain to form a loop

Row 2 - Ch 3 (counts as 1st TC) 11 more TC into loop. Join with a ss into top of 3 chain (12 st)

Row 3 - Ch 3 (counts as 1st TC) 1 TC into same stitch as 3 chain. *2 TC in next st**. Repeat * to end. ss into top of 3 chain (24 st)

Row 4 -  Ch 3 (counts as 1st TC) 1 TC into same stitch as 3 chain. *1 TC in next st, 2 TC into following st**. Repeat * to end. ss into top of 3 chain (36 st)
Row 5 to Row 53 - Chain 3. 1 TC into each st. ss into top of 3 chain (36 st)

Stuff the snake as you go along

Row 54 (start of decrease) Ch 3 *2TCtog 2** Repeat * to last st. TC in last st. ss into top of 3 chain. (18 st)

Stuff if needed

Row 55 Ch 3 *2TCtog 2** Repeat * to last st. TC in last st. ss into top of 3 chain. (9 st)

Stuff if needed

Row 56 Ch 3 *2TCtog 2** Repeat * to last st. TC in last st. ss into top of 3 chain. (7 st)

If you can decrease for another row then do so.  If there is not enough room and the snake is nearly closed then decrease as much as you can then ch 1 and cut yarn pulling tightly. This should have closed the snake completly.

Weave yarn end in.

Sew on eyes and add a material tongue if required.

My snake measures 29 inches (74 cm) and its girth is about 10 inches (26 cm)
Add more treble rows for a longer snake. If you want a wider snake then add another increase row (of course you'll need additional decrease rows too)

What's his name????

Severus Snake :)



 
 


 

 

 


6 comments:

  1. LOVE your snake and yes simple but amazing how
    we look for patterns lol. Like your blog too, only just found it so adding it to mine ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name *gg* Severus looks awesome. Maybe he'd like to meet Schlange someday, they could produce lovely baby snakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely snake! I could do with one - or two - of those in our draughty old cottage, maybe I could make them to match my ripple blanket!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snake draught excluder is lovely :) And the name is awesome too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thank you for sharing this pattern!
    I'm new to crocheting, but I'd like to try making this. I'm a little confused by the instructions for row 4. I understand that in row 3 you're doubling the total number of sts by doing 2TC, but then in row 4, you just chain 3 and end up with 36 sts? Please help me understand!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky. You are right. I seem to have missed out a whole row of instructions. It should read 1 TC in same stitch as chain. *1 TC in next st. 2TC in next stitch. Repeat from * (so basically 2 TC in 1 stitch and 1 TC in the next then repeat till end)
      I hope that makes sense. Im on holiday at the moment but when I get back I will write it up properly. Thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete