Sunday 18 March 2012

Discovering Zentangles

This weekend I went to The Stitch and Craft show at Olympia 2 with my daughter Nicky in search of a new hobby and inspiration. After trawling through 3 floors I have to say I was a little disappointed. Everything was very similar and there wasn't much new from last year and then.....
On the bottom floor, tucked away in the back corner was a small stall. It was filled with the most intricate artwork I have seen in a long while. Nicky literally dragged me over to have a look. The lady behind the stall was just about to give a demo and I have to say that none of us who watched could believe how easy it was. When it came to the end of the demo most of us forked over our cash to buy the beginners pack.
Zentangle is a form of art, relaxation and stress reliever all in one :) The premise is simple: Draw a square (for instance) partition bits off and fill in the gaps with repeating patterns.
So... Nicky and I went home and tried it that very evening.
This was my very first effort. We were both very impressed and went on to do a more complex shape.

And one more for luck.....
I have to be very honest and say I didn't draw the clock. it's a stencil I bought at the show but I think it was very effective.
I took full advantage of the fact that it was Mothers day today and Zentangled pretty much all day long. Before I upload the finished result I better explain that I have an issue with going slow with new crafts. An example of this is when I started patchworking. Most people start off with a simple, sedate 9 square patch. Me? Not a hope. I decided I liked the look of the Mariners Compass. The result was a disaster. I didn't pick up patchwork again until very recently and I've just finished the top of a quilt for Nicky made from lots of 5 inch squares in a straight line. See. I can learn a lesson.
Anyway..... I thought I'd go for something a little more complex and detailed with shading and everything and produced this...
Am I thrilled? You bet I am! It just goes to show you need no artistic skill to produce something quite stunning. I may even get it framed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment